Company: Tacoma Community College
Posted on: January 27, 2023
$41,760.00 - $43,800.00 Annually
Tacoma WA 98466, WA
Who We Are
Tacoma Community College is a public two-year institution that
serves a diverse population of approximately 14,000 students. We
embrace our identity as a community college and strongly encourage
applications from candidates who recognize and honor the important
role that equity, diversity, and inclusion brings to an educational
community. Our stated mission is to create meaningful and relevant
learning, inspire greater equity, and celebrate success in our
lives and in our communities. We are recognized nationally as an,
Achieving the Dream "leader college" and our faculty are engaged in
innovative work to improve student retention and program
completion. According to the Community College Survey of Student
Engagement, TCC ranks high on measures of active learning and
academic challenge, thanks to our creative and scholarly faculty.
We seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community.
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching.
- Is attracted by the campus mission promoting equitable access
to educational opportunities.
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to
facilitate success for underrepresented populations.
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with
- Engages effectively with the community both within and outside
For information on Tacoma and the surrounding area:
This position performs routine custodial duties and routine minor
maintenance and repairs on buildings, facilities and equipment.
Performs custodial duties for the College campus and project work
such as; setups, moves, and responds to cleaning and minor
maintenance repair needs of the college.
Each Maintenance Custodian is assigned a work area in which they
are responsible for completing all custodial work. Maintenance
Custodians are responsible for cleaning a variety of the following
spaces, depending on the area they are working in. These areas can
include classrooms, restrooms, offices, lounges, board rooms,
kitchens, cafeterias, restaurants, auditoriums, lecture halls,
outside entrances to buildings, hallways and foyers, gymnasiums,
locker rooms, weight rooms, science labs, computer labs, libraries,
reading rooms, work rooms, communications center, art galleries,
staircases, child care areas, and other public areas. May be
responsible to maintain and repair a variety of equipment such as
washers, vacuums and buffers.
- Clean and sanitize college facilities including public access
areas, restrooms, toilets, shower rooms and fixtures in accordance
with established procedures and standards; refill restroom
- Clean whiteboards; dust and wipe furniture; sweep, mop or
vacuum floors; wash windows; empty wastebaskets, trash, and recycle
containers; and set clocks.
- Strip, clean, buff, and apply finish to floors; use and
maintain high-speed floor buffers/polishers; vacuum and
- Maintain and repair heavy duty floor machines such as washers,
vacuums and buffers; replace drive wheels, shafts, gears, valves
and electrical switches, light bulbs; oil motors and clean
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools such
as vacuum, broom, mop, squeegee, Tucker-pole window washing system,
pressure-washer, and ladder for cleaning and general maintenance of
floors, walls, carpets, and furniture, use a ladder to replace
- Repairs and maintains electric powered janitorial tools such as
vacuum cleaners, floor polishers, floor scrubbers, and walk-behind
- Installs and repairs dispensers and other custodial
- As required by supervisor, maintain parts and equipment
supplies, parts catalogs and equipment maintenance records;
- Lock and unlock buildings, secure buildings when facilities are
not in use by checking for unlocked doors and windows, make the
rounds turning off lights, and report unauthorized occupants.
- Follow written and/or verbal instructions regarding use of
chemicals, supplies and equipment; comply with safety policies and
procedures; prepare work orders for repair and/or maintenance and
maintain written custodial logs.
- Perform cleaning and related activities within reasonable
distance from buildings using hand-operated tools or small power
equipment to remove snow or debris and to sweep sidewalks or
- Drive and safely operate a motor vehicle to transport trash and
supplies to and from areas of responsibility. (Seatbelt
- Painting and touch-up assigned as needed. Set-up and take down
equipment, such as whiteboards and easels, and furnishings, such as
folding chairs and tables needed for meetings, classrooms,
conferences and events.
- Improves work methods, knowledge of equipment, supplies and
safety through participation in training sessions with
- Moves furniture and equipment; arranges tables and chairs for
special events; collects and disposes of garbage and trash. Move &
store supplies and materials.
- Maintains inventories of cleaning/maintenance supplies in
assigned buildings. Report supply/equipment needs to immediate
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Physical ability to perform duties listed in essential
- One year experience as a maintenance custodian or associated
trades.Conditions of Employment
- Successful completion of a criminal history background
- Proof of completed COVID-19 Vaccination is required upon hiring
and employment at TCC.
- Must possess a current valid, unrestricted driver's license or
ability to obtain one within 2 months of employment.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- Knowledge of Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Knowledge of Safety Standards and Cleaning Standards.
- Maintain respect and confidentiality, ethics, integrity, and
sound professional judgment.
- Ability to understand, speak, write and read the English
language, for receiving and reading instructions for cleaning and
chemical handling, and radio and emergency communications.
- Effectively carry out work processes to achieve individual and
- Manage personal time and projects wisely; set priorities, make
appropriate decisions to complete assigned tasks, and solve
problems efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Identify and understand issues, challenges, and learning
opportunities; be proactive and strategic with solutions
- Communicate promptly and responsively to the needs of the
department and college community.
- Inspect areas and ensure that departmental/facility cleanliness
standards are met.
- Excellent customer service skills, including: establishing,
building and maintaining internal/external customer
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
along with following instructions.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment
to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Ethics, integrity and sound professional judgment.
- Understanding of and ability to follow applicable laws,
regulations, and other standards to establish and/or maintain a
safe working environment.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods including safety practices, green
cleaning procedures and guidelines, chemicals, personal protective
equipment, other custodial equipment and supplies used in custodial
work and recycling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal
- Ability to physically demonstrate safe cleaning practices to
- Ability to develop, coach, train and lead a team.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing business needs, conditions
and work responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently and simultaneously on multiple
projects within close, overlapping and/or conflicting deadlines
Complete application packages must include the following.
1. Tacoma Community College online application.
2. Cover letter and Resume.
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time position currently scheduled to work Sunday
through Thursday, 5:00 pm to 1:30 am. The successful candidate must
be willing to work varying shifts & hours to meet business needs.
The salary range is $3,480 - $3,650 per month plus $1.00 per hour
shift differential for evening shifts. Tacoma Community College
offers a generous benefits package to include: Life, health,
dental, and long-term disability insurance, state retirement,
vacation leave, sick leave, and holiday pay. A collective
bargaining agreement exists and membership in the Washington Public
Employees Association is available upon employment. The layoff unit
for this position is "All Other Classified Positions".
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and Educator. Tacoma Community College
provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age,
disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital
status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited
sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual
conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for
qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in
accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal
Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to
handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Stephen
Smith, Title VII and Title IX, Building 14, 253-566-5055; Dr. Davi
Kallman, Section 504 Officer, Building 7, 253-566-5157. Tacoma
Community College is a smoke-free/drug-free environment. This
recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job
description and can be changed and or modified without notice.
Tacoma Community College Human Resources 6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14,
Tacoma WA 98466http://www.tacomacc.edu/about/employment
Keywords: Tacoma Community College, Tacoma , Maintenance Custodian, Professions , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!