Pierce County Workforce Navigator
Company: Tacoma Community College
Posted on: January 23, 2023
$54,000.00 - $58,000.00 Annually
Tacoma WA 98466, WA
Who We Are
Priority Consideration Date: February 4, 2023
Tacoma Community College ( TCC ) is built on the traditional
homelands of the Puyallup Tribe. The Puyallup people have lived on
and stewarded these lands since the beginning of time and continue
to do so today. Our college commits to uplifting the voices,
experiences, and histories of the Indigenous people of this land
and beyond. TCC stands in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and
the Black community and we strive to become an anti-racist
institution. We are examining racism, both implicit and explicit,
as a system of domination, and we seek to identify and abolish it
in our policies, procedures, and practices.
As the winner of the 2020 Association of Community College Trustees
Equity Award for the entire Pacific Region, TCC is committed to
recruiting faculty and staff who are reflective of the diverse
community we serve. We are specifically focusing on improved
support for traditionally underserved populations at TCC including
Black, Indigenous, and people of color, Dreamers, justice-involved,
immigrants and refugees, Veterans, people with disabilities, and
the LGBTQ+ community. To this end, the college seeks applicants who
will intentionally support and promote efforts related to equity,
diversity, and inclusion, and who recognize and honor the important
role that diversity brings to an educational community.
Since opening its doors in 1965, Tacoma Community College has
provided a high-quality, affordable education to more than 500,000
people. Serving Tacoma, Gig Harbor, the Key Peninsula, online
students, and the women's prisons, TCC educates about 11,000
students annually. Many TCC students are the first in their
families to attend college, 58 percent receive financial aid, 13
percent have children, 42 percent are students of color, and 48
percent work while attending school. TCC has multiple campuses: the
main campus is in Tacoma, another is in Gig Harbor, and two
additional sites are maintained at the Washington Corrections
Centers for Women.
Pierce County Workforce Education Providers are looking for a
dynamic and engaging individual to work in a team with the Pierce
County BEdA (Basic Education for Adults) Navigator to recruit and
refer residents of Pierce County for basic skills and workforce
training services. This position will provide outreach and referral
to residents of Pierce County interested in re-engaging in
education and training opportunities including career exploration
and short and long-term training pathways. The Navigator will work
collaboratively with BEdA and Workforce Education programs at each
of the 4 community and technical colleges and Tacoma Community
House to gain comprehensive knowledge of services and programs
offered and disseminate that information to the Pierce County
communities through hosting events, participating in community
events and building partnerships in the community to link residents
in need school completion with the appropriate program.
The PC Workforce Navigator will work with residents to clarify
education and career goals and provide immediate referrals,
personally connecting them to an appropriate program. This team is
the main point of contact for marketing efforts and will coordinate
with workforce Central staff and contractors to guide students to
the most appropriate providers. While an employee of Tacoma
Community College, this position equitably serves the programs of
Pierce College, Bates Technical College, Clover Park Technical
College, Tacoma Community House, and Tacoma Community College. This
is a contract-funded position that reports to the Tacoma Community
College Director of Basic Education for Adults.
- Conduct outreach and recruitment throughout Pierce County and
refer interested participants to one of the workforce education
providers as appropriate. Lead orientation activities targeting the
needs of immigrant and refugee populations.
- Identify and develop relationships with key community partners
to build trust in communities the Workforce Education programs aim
- Employ outreach and recruitment best practices to improve and
be effective in engaging target populations.
- Attend outreach events countywide.
- Work closely with the BEdA PC Navigator and the providers in
order to ensure effective referrals. This includes sharing
resources, organizing protocols, allocating tasks, and addressing
gaps in services. The navigator will establish meetings with
representatives of the Workforce and BEdA providers on a monthly
- Maintain a current understanding of the programs and pathways
at each institution and build relationships with individuals at
each institution to ensure effective and timely referrals.
- Maintain a detailed and accurate record of recruitment
activities and program outcomes to be shared with the
Workforce/BEdA partners and OneStop Service Providers.
- Act as a liaison to other support services utilizing 211 to
assist clients to find services for which they are eligible.
- Provide follow-up to ensure referrals are clearly connected to
the target institution.
- Provide excellent customer service to potential students,
campus partners and community partners.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or
- Two years of experience working with underrepresented or
- Experience working with diverse populations. Qualifying
volunteer experience is acceptable.
- Intermediate level of experience using computer applications
such as word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, database and
desktop publishing software.
- Reliable transportation and the ability to travel to all areas
of Pierce County. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in education-related marketing and outreach.
- Knowledge of local community resources and services.
- Knowledge of WIOA and its implementation mechanism or one-stop
system elements.Conditions of Employment
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check
prior to employment.Must have reliable transportation to attend
community events.Duties of the position require knowledge, skills,
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to
interact professionally with diverse populations.
- An understanding of support services as it relates to Workforce
and BEdA service providers.
- An understanding of the pathways at each educational
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment
to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Familiarity with systems of higher education and
- Proficiency in analyzing numerical data and communicating
complex data in an accessible way.
- Ability to identify campus and community resources to remove
barriers to success.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working
relationships with students, colleagues, and staff.
- High organizational and problem-solving abilities. Ability to
multitask and prioritize a heavy workload.
- Excellent customer service skills; including establishing,
building and maintaining internal/external relationships that
promote customer satisfaction.
- Commitment to serving the needs of historically underserved
populations including but not limited to low-income populations,
limited English speakers, and those experiencing homelessness,
domestic violence, substance abuse, and other barriers to education
- Highly professional, ethical, and respectful of confidential
data and individuals' circumstances.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication
- Ability and willingness to work an alternate schedule including
evenings and weekends, as need demands
Complete application packages must include the following:
- Tacoma Community College online application.
- Resume & cover letter describing how your educational
background and experience align with the responsibilities and
- Copies of transcripts for all colleges and universities
- Diversity Statement: Tacoma Community College is committed to
creating and supporting a multi-cultural climate that welcomes,
fosters, respects, and celebrates diversity. Please attach a
statement (maximum two pages) describing your experiences with
other cultures and communities, your level of cultural
self-awareness and how you have integrated both experience and
self-awareness into your living/working environment.
Terms of Employment
These are full-time temporary exempt professional positions funded
by grant funding sources. Continuation of this position is
contingent upon available funding. The position's scheduled hours
vary dependent on program and event needs. The salary range for
this position is $54000 - $58,000 DOE/DOQ. The salary will be
prorated to reflect the actual contract days remaining in the
academic year. Degrees must be from accredited colleges or
universities recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and
verified by National Clearinghouse. International degrees will be
verified for U.S. equivalency.
Tacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education
and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex,
sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a
veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual
harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides
reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and
applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with
Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following
persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding
non-discrimination policies: Stephen Smith, Title VII and Title IX,
253-566-5055; Dr. Davi Kallman, Section 504 Officer, Building 7,
253-566-5157. Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free
environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the
entire job description and can be changed and or modified without
notice. Tacoma Community College6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA
Keywords: Tacoma Community College, Tacoma , Pierce County Workforce Navigator, Other , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!