Senior Design Engineer
Company: Lewis County
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Lewis County is currently seeking a qualified Senior
Engineer-Design to join our talented Public Works team.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST GO TO THE LEWIS COUNTY WEBSITE AT TO GET
DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY. APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT FOLLOW
DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS LISTED ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE POSTING WILL BE
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Type: Full-time, Regular; Non-Exempt; Teamsters Represented
Pay Range: $5,940 - $7,989 per month
NATURE OF WORK Under limited supervision, performs professional
work of considerable difficulty in managing design, construction,
engineering, development, flood control, roads, bridges, utilities,
and infrastructure projects for the Public Works Department
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The following duties ARE NOT intended to
serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all
employees in this classification, only a representative summary of
the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be
required to perform all duties listed and may be required to
perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Designs, plans, coordinates, and inspects PWD civil engineering
projects; analyzes complex issues, develops recommendations, and
implements solutions; duties may vary according to job
- Prepares conceptual plans, detailed plans, specifications, and
estimates for PWD construction projects; manages and maintains
technical project and program databases.
- Assumes technical responsibility for completing and reviewing
complete phases or major components of projects, including
engineering reports, calculations, plans, contracts, and special
assignments in accordance with PWD standards and codes.
- Coordinates the development of project design concepts and
- Performs drafting and computing work; checks and directs field
operations involved in the gathering and compilation of field data
for the design, layout, and construction of roads, flood control,
bridges, utilities, infrastructure, and related projects.
- Makes structural and technical engineering analysis of proposed
projects; evaluates need for design changes and makes appropriate
recommendations; reviews plans for conformity to uniform codes,
local ordinances, and State and Federal regulations.
- Inspects and monitors PWD projects under contract; resolves
discrepancies between field conditions and design plans; recommends
methods of resolving complex problems.
- Writes various analytical reports and makes technical estimates
of a specialized nature in connection with engineering projects;
checks and reviews final technical specifications for submittal to
- Ensures project deliverables meet scope, schedule, cost, and
- Leads and supervises assigned staff; prioritizes and assigns
tasks and projects; trains and instructs staff as required;
provides leadership, direction and guidance in technical processes
- Responds to questions from citizens and agencies on PWD
projects and plans.
- Prepares and assists in the presentation of Departmental
reports and project information; ensures information from external
sources is integrated into County plans and documents.
- Manages technical engineering databases; compiles technical
data from a variety of sources; edits and verifies data and updates
database; performs quality control checks to ensure data
- Oversees contract administration for PWD projects; develops
contract specifications and provisions; tracks and reports
compliance and financial information on projects;
- Coordinates projects, activities and information with other PWD
staff, County Departments, contractors, and outside agencies.
- Inspects construction projects to verify and enforce compliance
to safety and quality standards.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is performed in an
office environment; work involves light physical demands and
frequent use of a personal computer; occasional inspection work is
performed outdoors at construction sites and County facilities.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is the fully qualified
senior level in the Registered Engineer job series. Incumbents
independently perform the full scope of civil engineering duties,
with extensive technical knowledge in a specific area of
assignment, and total responsibility for the completion of assigned
civil engineering projects.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS: Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or
related field; AND four (4) years professional civil engineering
experience. Senior Engineer supervising bridge inspections shall
obtain a bridge inspection number/license within 12 months of hire.
A valid Washington State Drivers License is required. Must be
registered as a Professional Engineer* with Washington State Board
of Registration. *Engineer in training (EIT) certificate and
minimum education/experience adequate for hire at senior engineer
EIT pay grade.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- County policies and procedures.
- Fundamentals of civil engineering, mathematics and
- Principles of design, construction, and maintenance of public
- Methods, materials, and equipment used in public works
construction, maintenance, and repair.
- Principles and practices of government project management and
methods of evaluating construction contract compliance.
- Federal and State codes and regulations governing civil
engineering and public works projects, including County Road
Administration Board and Department of Transportation
- Contract development and management principles.
- Computers and specialized engineering software applications and
file management procedures.
- OSHA safety rules and regulations and safety standards
applicable to hazardous environments.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Analyzing technical issues, evaluating alternatives, and
developing solutions based on findings.
- Managing staff, delegating tasks and authority, and assessing
and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects.
- Interpreting and applying engineering standards and procedures,
Federal and State rules and regulations, and City policies and
- Applying engineering theory and skills to solve PWD project
issues and problems.
- Analyzing and evaluating technical engineering data and
- Checking designs, details, estimates, plans, and specifications
of engineering projects.
- Interpreting technical instructions and analyzing complex
- Reading, understanding, developing, manipulating, and analyzing
engineering information in a variety of computerized data
- Working effectively with others to develop solutions for public
- Analyzing, evaluating, and interpreting technical data.
Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
with other County employees, public officials, and representatives
from other local, State, and Federal agencies.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or related field; AND
four (4) years professional civil engineering experience
- Senior Engineer supervising bridge inspections shall obtain a
bridge inspection number/license within 12 months of hire
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer with Washington
State Board of Registration
- Valid Drivers License
- Previous experience managing contract in Washington State small
- Previous experience working with WSDOT Local Programs
Keywords: Lewis County, Tacoma , Senior Design Engineer, Other , Chehalis, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!