Manager of Emergency and Critical Care Services
Company: National Veterinary Associates
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Manager of Emergency and Critical Care Services
Summit Veterinary Referral Center is looking for an individual
to join our team as our Manager of Emergency and Critical Care
Services to inspire and lead our growing emergency and critical
care veterinary team. In this role you will have a profound impact
on animals and their owners by influencing life-saving emergency
medicine for thousands of animals a year.
Summit Veterinary Referral Center is a multi-specialty and
emergency center, located in beautiful Tacoma, WA. We provide
24-hour emergency and critical care, internal medicine, oncology,
ophthalmology, neurology, radiology and surgery services. With
state of the are equipment and a top-notch staff we are able to
deliver excellent medical care in an environment that actively
supports our team's growth and development. Our reputation amongst
veterinarians and clients alike has positioned us as the most
competent and capable tertiary hospital to successfully respond to
true medical emergencies. In addition to direct receiving of
emergency cases, our emergency and critical care team oversees all
specialty patients requiring hospitalization.
In Summit's 11 years as a hospital, we've built the largest
veterinary team in the state of Washington. This unique opportunity
positions you as one of the most important and influential leaders
in our organization overseeing a team that collaborates with all
segments of the hospital. A successful leader in this role will
have ongoing opportunities to grow and expand their area of
influence. This position reports to our Hospital Director.
For more information about our hospital, please visit our
- Serve as the leader of the Emergency and Critical Care
department and oversee a team of more than 50 highly skilled and
- Build a culture of excellence in providing the most robust
emergency care in the region with a focus on exceptional quality
medicine combined with compassionate client service.
- Work with the Hospital Director and Medical Directors to
develop a culture of integrity, compassion, pride, support and
commitment to excellence.
- Constructively support the holistic well-being of support staff
through improving job satisfaction, skill development, personal
quality of life and sustainability in the work place.
- Ensure consistency and continuity of care services
- Act as a visionary and support the evolution of veterinary
medicine including but limited to exploration of new technology and
development of new roles and services.
- Provide direct and indirect supervision of the Emergency
Department Staff and the Assistant ER Manager team.
- Recruit, interview, and hire for the Emergency Department as
required to achieve staffing goals.
- Support the training and development of all Department
- Work closely with the Medical Directors and Assistant ER
Managers to ensure ongoing continuing education for the Emergency
- Oversee and deliver timely feedback and periodic performance
evaluations for ER team.
- Oversee department scheduling and with an effort to continual
improvement and evolution in our workflows and scheduling
- Address concerns/complaints and issues related to the ER
- Receive and investigate patient care complaints in conjunction
with the Client Services Manager, recommend solutions to the
Hospital Director, and respond as needed.
- Work with hospital leadership and support teams to ensure
Department has sufficient inventory and equipment to meet service
- Ensure that the patient services comply with all applicable
law, regulations, and policies,
according to federal and state law.
- Work with COO to develop and meet financial objectives for
- Represent Department amongst management and leadership teams
and act as the advocate for staff, patient and client needs.
- Partner with Department Managers as needed in regards to
service delivery and enhancements throughout the hospital.
- Create and revise protocols and policies related to veterinary
technicians (nurses) and veterinary assistants and patient care, in
conjunction with the Medical Director and other Managers
- Support the overall good functioning of hospital with a
willingness to support the success of all team members and
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, the right
candidate should have good
knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google products such as word
processing and spreadsheet software. It will also be necessary to
become proficient in the use of our veterinary practice management
Communication Skills: Must possess excellent written and oral
communication skills, exhibit leadership and organizational
confidence, and the ability to present material to large and small
groups. Maintain a harmonious, constructive and respectful
relationship with those contacted in the course of work of all
Education: Successful completion of high school or GED;
preferably a college degree. LVT or DVM credentials a plus.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years management experience
directing leading a team larger than 20 or at least one (1) year in
the veterinary field and at least one (1) year of management
experience leading a team larger than 20. Practice management
experience a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, public speaking, and
- Ability to interview and hire effectively while accurately
assessing cultural fit for the organization.
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting, sales, business
development, and strategic planning.
Personal characteristics, skills and abilities:
- Ability to lead, plan and manage change
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Possess a continual improvement mindset
- Ability to set priorities and boundaries
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication
- Understand applicable regional regulatory requirements
- Ability to anticipate unique service opportunities
- Ability to build consensus and engage team members at all
- Able to navigate stressful situations effectively
- Ability to project confidence and foster a positive work
- Able to be active, sitting, walking, standing, climbing
- Able to work in low to moderate noise, including animal
- Able to work well under pressure
- Must be able to
Keywords: National Veterinary Associates, Tacoma , Manager of Emergency and Critical Care Services, Other , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!