Company: Par Pacific Holdings Inc
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Date: May 14, 2021
Tacoma, WA, US, 98421
Job Function: Refinery
Requisition Number: 1696
Title: Process Engineer
Broad Role for a Process or Senior Process Engineer to Support
Refinery Process Units and Project Work
Enjoy a Great Culture and Career Runway at a Company where
Engineering is Highly Valued
If you combine your process engineering expertise with
experience in refinery or petrochemical operations, this position
offers you several compelling opportunities.
- Join a high-impact team at a company where engineering is
highly regarded. In fact, many of our senior leaders came up
- Expand your skills and experience in a broad role that includes
process improvements, operational support, and special projects.
You'll be involved in all areas of our operations.
- We hire with an eye to the future, and strong performance in
this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities
or pursue advancement in our organization. While this is not a
"fast track" career position (when people join us they tend to
stay) it is an influential role for a motivated and ambitious
professional with the bandwidth to grow and take on new
- Your successes will be noticed and appreciated. We promote a
meritocracy in which talent and performance are recognized and
rewarded. That is part of the reason that the average tenure here
is 14 years. Within USOR, and across our parent company, Par
Pacific, you will find people who are driven, hardworking, and
- You will earn a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, along
with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental
and vision insurance; unlimited paid time off; a 401(k) with
company match; educational reimbursement; and more.
- Enjoy a relaxed and results-oriented culture that values
work/life balance. Of course, we'll look to you to be flexible at
peak times (e.g. shutdown/turnaround activities), but overall the
hours are reasonable.
U.S. Oil & Refining, a Par Pacific company, is an industry
leader in the production and supply of high-quality motor, aviation
and marine fuels and asphalt marketed primarily in the Puget Sound
market. We have a refinery capacity of 42,000 bbls per stream day,
and total storage capacity of 2.7 million bbls, with 1.4 million
bbls of crude and the remainder products. We also offer biofuels in
various blends at our loading rack.
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have
legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for
any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
In addition, to be a good fit for the Process Engineer opportunity,
you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering.
- 3-5 years of experience working as a process engineer in a
refinery is highly preferred; petrochemical industry experience
will also be considered. We also will consider more experienced,
- Solid understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics,
distillation, and control systems.
- The ability to independently evaluate, select and apply
standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership and
- The ability to achieve goals independently and also contribute
as a team player.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Project management skills, including strong organizational and
- Confident verbal and written communication skills.
Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, you will join a
team that includes other engineers and designers who perform
refinery engineering, design and inspection activities. You will
provide process design, process control, and technical support for
refinery operations and engineering projects. Areas of support will
include crude distillation, hydrotreating, naphtha reforming,
isomerization, asphalt blending, sulfur recovery units and refinery
utility systems. Broadly speaking your process and project
engineering duties will include:
- Performing process design associated with refinery
improvements, including safety, environmental compliance,
profitability, efficiency and control systems/technology.
- Providing technical support to refinery operating and
More specifically, you will:
- Perform and/or manage all phases of engineering projects from
conceptual studies, process design, cost estimating, detailed
engineering, procurement, construction, through startup.
- Identify and develop refinery improvement projects.
- Develop economic justification for refinery improvements.
- Make recommendations for modifications to improve refinery
- Prepare engineering specifications for equipment and instrument
- Assist with design and implementation of new distributed
control systems (DCSs).
- Perform process optimization studies.
- Participate in process hazard analyses (PHA) and management of
- Administer and/or manage assigned refinery
- Perform equipment process inspections during
- Solicit and evaluate bids for equipment and construction.
- Provide technical support to other refinery departments
(Operations, Maintenance, Environmental, Safety).
- Monitor and evaluate process unit performance.
- Utilize simulation software to identify and debottleneck unit
Note: This description is intended to give you a general
overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties
Par Pacific Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: PARR), headquartered in
Houston, Texas, owns and operates market-leading energy and
infrastructure businesses. Par Pacific's strategy is to acquire and
develop energy and infrastructure businesses in logistically
complex markets. Par Pacific owns and operates one of the largest
energy networks in Hawaii with 148,000-bpd of combined refining
capacity, a logistics system supplying the major islands of the
state and 91 retail locations. In the Pacific Northwest and the
Rockies, Par Pacific owns and operates 60,000-bpd of combined
refining capacity, related multimodal logistics systems and 33
retail locations. Par Pacific also owns 46% of Laramie Energy, LLC,
a natural gas production company with operations and assets
concentrated in Western Colorado. Follow this link to learn more
about the value of human capital at Par Pacific Holdings, Inc.:
Note: Par Pacific will not accept calls from third-party
recruiters. All candidates are required to apply through this web
Par Pacific is an equal opportunity employer. Par Pacific
prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords
equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans
status, genetic information, or any other status protected by
Nearest Major Market: Tacoma
Job Segment: Process Engineer, Engineer, Construction, Supply,
Procurement, Engineering, Operations
Keywords: Par Pacific Holdings Inc, Tacoma , Process Engineer, Other , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!