Registered Nurse at ICE Detention Center (RN #)
Company: STG International Inc
Posted on: January 15, 2021
STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates
for the Registered Nurse position to work full-time providing
medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health
Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the
organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security
(DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil
service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals
working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC
serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC's mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of
individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on
correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The
Agency is committed to
providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health,
reduce global disease and provide
medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe
apprehension, enforcement and
removal of detained individuals involved in immigration
proceedings. IHSC is committed to
ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and
accountable through rigorous
surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of
Practice and performs functions in
accordance with current accepted practice, licensure,
certification, credentialing and or granted
2. Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as
appropriate to discipline and
3. May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to
medical emergencies. Must
appropriately document patient/resident encounters electronically
according to current standards
of care using electronic health records.
4. Provides supervision of Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses, as
5. Evaluates health care needs of residents and develops nursing
care plans to meet those needs.
6. Provides assessment and treatment of residents during sick call
utilizing the IHSC RN
Guidelines and refers to mid-level provider and/or physician as
7. Provides screening of residents during intake per IHSC
established policies and procedures.
8. Obtains residents' medical histories and appropriately refers
abnormal findings or responses
or stated medical problems to the physician and/ or mid-level
9. Draws labs as requested and collects laboratory specimens.
10. Destroys and properly disposes of all sharps to include but not
limited to needles and
syringes according to hazardous waste, infection control and safety
11. Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a
regular basis as needed.
12. Administers medications, immunizations, education or other
needed treatments as
13. Adheres to professional nursing principals, procedures and
techniques for appropriate patient
care and take direction from onsite administrative personnel.
14. Adheres to medication administration guidelines, understand
pharmaceutical agents and their
desired effects recognize adverse effects and take appropriate
corrective measures as needed.
15. Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually
cognizant of the potential
hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
16. Provide patient/resident health education as appropriate
17. Coordinates health care needs of residents with
multidisciplinary team members and
coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
18. Participates as member of multidisciplinary team to ensure that
equipment, supplies and logs
are available, correct and updated. Ensures all equipment is
functional and appropriately
maintained according to manufacturer's requirements.
19. Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of
practice for practice state and
IHSC Policies and Procedures. These services will be primarily to
surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
20. May serve as clinic coordinator to ensure effective and
efficient clinical operations.
21. May participate in peer reviews, Quality Improvement/Quality
Assurance activities, Infection
Control activities, investigations or other clinically significant
22. Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program
policies and position.
23. Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing
electronic health records as
required by, and appropriate to, position.
24. Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies
testing, initially and annually.
25. Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as
26. Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of
medical records, in compliance with
the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
27. Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies,
Procedures, Directives, Operational
Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by
28. Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC's Safety, Prevention,
Infection and Control, Quality
Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral
duties as appropriate to
29. Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
30. Other duties as assigned.
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
IHSC operates 365/24/7 you may be required to respond
telephonically during emergency call
back roster activation.
1. This full time position requires availability to work day,
evening and night shifts.
Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
2. On-call availability is not required for this position.
1. The Department of Homeland Security's Personnel Security Unit
(PSU) must render a
Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a
2. A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by
PSU upon completion of
initial and subsequent background investigations to meet the
requirements of this position.
1. Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes
and maintain balance.
2. Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes,
where a fast walk or jog
may be necessary to provide assistance.
3. Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
4. Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees
or staff exiting the building
during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or
carrying someone who weighs
significantly more than self).
5. Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of
aides if necessary
(exceptions on a case by case basis).
6. Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
7. Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
8. Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere
environment without physical
9. Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for
long periods of time.
This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set
forth by the contract vendor.
Technical oversight will be provided by the Government Technical
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
1. Strong oral and written communication skills.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills.
3. Critical thinking skills
4. Cultural competency.
5. Integrity and honesty.
6. Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not
7. Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare
setting (preferred, not
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an
entity recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education
1. Graduate from an associate's or baccalaureate nursing program
for Registered Nurses located
in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory
accredited by The Accreditation
Commission For Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on
2. Minimum one (1) year of professional experience as a licensed
registered nurse in a hospital,
medical office or residential setting.
1. Current, full and unrestricted licensed as Registered Nurse in
the state in which the duty
station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to
2. This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
3. Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers-- certification through
the American Heart
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in
simple diagnostic and treatment
2. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual
3. Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services
to complete assigned duties if not
fluent in a language the patient understands.
4. Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility
in work requirements.
5. Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and
written) in order to develop
positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other
6. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships
in a multidisciplinary
7..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: STG International Inc, Tacoma , Registered Nurse at ICE Detention Center (RN #), Other , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!