Asst General Counsel
Company: Cleveland Clinic Lerner College Of Medicine
Posted on: April 8, 2021
American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA) The Assistant
General Counsel assists MultiCare business leaders, in-house and
external counsel on transaction and regulatory matters, including
professional and clinical service agreement, transactions, joint
ventures, affiliations, mergers & acquisitions, clinical service
agreements and other affiliations. The incumbent serves as a
subject matter expert, educational resource, problem solver and
strategic advisor, to MultiCare business leaders and colleagues on
all aspects of healthcare transaction and regulatory issues;
assists business leaders and outside consulting resources in the
evaluation of business and transaction opportunities, negotiations,
drafting, and coordinating legal aspects of transactions (including
legal due diligence) and engagement and oversight of outside
counsel; drafts entity formation and governance documents,
including corporate articles and bylaws, LLC membership agreements,
corporate charters, letters of intent/term sheets and similar
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates contracts and transactions for
the organization which are in line with federal and state laws
including but not limited to joint venture agreements, clinical
services agreements, vendor agreements, business acquisitions and
lease agreements as requested.
- Provides key legal support for transactional and strategic
initiatives, including partnering with business leaders in
negotiating transactions, handling and overseeing transactional
projects, conducting due diligence, drafting transactional
documents and managing outside counsel.
- Advises subsidiaries, employees, and medical staff regarding
legal implications of health care organization and delivery.
- Recommends strategic and appropriate business forms and
structure for new ventures and transactions and assesses liability
involved with business transactions.
- Works collaboratively with attorneys, paralegals and other
colleagues in Legal Services in connection with transaction and
- Assists in preparation of corporate governance documents.
- Partners with management and members of the compliance
department on regulatory issues including HIPAA, reimbursement,
fraud and abuse, Stark and Anti-kickback issues.
- Monitors outside legal counsel to assure quality and
- Assists with the review and revision of system policies and
- Prepares and provides educational presentations on topics
relating to regulatory compliance.
- Actively consults with system departments as requested.
- Monitors health care transaction and regulatory legislation and
participates in work groups to operationalize changes in
legislation that affect MultiCare.
- Participates in or coordinates special projects as
- Completes legal research as requested.
- Participates in continuing legal education pertinent to job
- Maintains legal consultant role with administrative staff,
nursing staff, medical staff, other employees, outside attorneys,
and others, as needed for the completion of projects.
- Attends and participates in functions, sponsored by MultiCare,
to communicate to the community and enhance the organization's
standing among healthcare providers and the public.
- Contributes to the success of the organization by meeting
organizational competency expectations, continuously learning, and
by performing other duties as needed or assigned.
- Fostering Teamwork
- Developing Others
- Customer Focus
- Quality and Strategic Focus
- Financial and Operational Management
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of general medical and hospital practices and
operations, licensing and accreditation requirements, medical
staff, credentialing and corrective action issues, FMV analysis,
regulatory compliance issues (including HIPAA, nonprofit/tax-exempt
entity issues, antitrust, Stark/AKS and fraud and abuse laws,
- Knowledge of substantive health law areas including 340b
programs, EMTALA, payer contracting, population health, mental
health laws and health care information technology contracting,
licensing and privacy and security issues
- Knowledge of the principles of law/legal matters to effectively
analyze data and make decisions
- Skill in negotiating deal terms to accomplish business
- Skill in directing the work and activities of staff with the
ability to delegate effectively
- Skill in time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Skill in helping create high-performing teams
- Ability to work collaboratively with business leaders to
advance the mission, vision, values and strategies of the
- Ability to establish a climate that achieves optimal
- Ability to establish and maintain a cohesive work team
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to accept responsibility willingly
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to set priorities and use good judgement
- Ability to be caring, sympathetic, calm, and able to work as
part of a team
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Washington
- Five (5) years of experience in a health system corporate legal
department or law firm with significant involvement in health care
transactions, joint ventures, affiliations, mergers and
acquisitions, entity formation and governance matters - as well as
additional experience in combination of regulatory, compliance,
risk management, insurance, employment and contractual
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties,
functions and qualifications. They are not intended to be
comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and
therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of
the position at a given point in time.
It is MultiCare's policy to base hiring decisions solely on the
individual's ability to perform essential job functions. Persons
with disabilities are eligible for this position provided they can
perform those functions with reasonable accommodation.
- Job ID: 56363398
Tacoma, Washington, United States
Remote, United States
- Position Title: Asst General Counsel
- Company Name: MultiCare Health System
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: Juris Doctor
- Min Experience: 5-7 Years View your connections at MultiCare
Health System LinkedIn Jobs You May Like U OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH
NURSE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE Build a Growing Practice! Now
Hiring for a... Valley Medical Center Excellent Opportunity! Now
Hiring for a... Valley Medical Center Nurse Practitioners needed
Nationwide for COVID-19... East Holly Avenue, Box 56 Pitman, NJ
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic Lerner College Of Medicine, Tacoma , Asst General Counsel, Legal , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!