Senior Health & Safety Manager
Company: Pick-n-Pull Auto and Truck Dismantlers
Posted on: April 10, 2021
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page: The Senior Health and
Safety Manager reports directly to the Health and Safety Director.
Incumbent must have pro-active approach in achieving the
operational and Health & Safety goals of the company by sharing
ideas for process improvements. This position develops consistent
and uniform safety practices following safety management system
methodology in conjunction with short- and long-term safety goals
of the company, applying innovative and best practice solutions
where appropriate. The Senior Health and Safety Manager is
responsible for implementing safety programs for their assigned
Schnitzer Steel locations and for minimizing company safety
liability and risk. Liabilities are reduced by: establishing and
enforcing effective safety policies and loss control programs;
developing a culture that proactively engages in anticipating and
preventing hazardous conditions; implementing compliance training;
and engaging management commitment to drive the appropriate
behaviors that prevent injuries or illnesses in the work place.--
Essential Functions: Health & Safety (H&S)
- Support the Senior EHS Leadership Team in the development of
EHS strategy, business plans and mitigation programs to manage EHS
- Support Regional Leadership Teams with the execution of HS
related strategies and plans. Proactively develop plans to close
gaps and develop continuous improvement programs
- Leads and coordinates the implementation and monitoring the
effectiveness of the safety and health management systems at
- Implements processes and training necessary to meet all
- Conducts appropriate and required program requirements (e.g.
industrial hygiene, safety equipment usage, confined space,
- Uses knowledge, skills, and abilities compulsory for developing
training programs to reduce use of outside contractors.
- Assists with coaching all employees on safety related
- Monitor and manage conformance to applicable contractor
management systems meet regulatory and company requirements
- Maintain health and safety professional certifications or
current training necessary to be abreast of trends, legislation,
and best practices.
- Supports, leads and review incident investigation reports.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and
- Leads and coordinates safety & health program auditing
Operational Performance & Best Management Practices
- Assist operations in driving continuous improvements and
compliance, making recommendations for improvements and providing
risk assessments to managers and leaders of business
- Assist in preparation, distribution and communication of a
variety of safety reports, including injury trend analysis.
- Responsible for developing and implementing procedures and
behavioral applications that drive incident reduction.
- Performs incident and injury investigation, root cause analysis
and ensures corrective actions are developed to prevent repeat
- Experience and demonstrated capability to perform auditing is a
- Interprets and stays current on a variety of standards, laws,
and regulations relating to the organization with frequent contact
with all levels of the organization. Prepares and implements a
variety of programs and systems at the corporate and operations
- Achieving accident prevention goals.
- Administering and maintaining SOP(s).
- Working knowledge of: Local/State/Federal requirements; NFPA
compliance; DOT compliance; National Electric Code; Workers
- Certifies employees when necessary in CPR, First Aid, specific
equipment usage, etc.
- Alignment of activities with corporate goals and
- Acts as a technical resource responsible for maintaining
specific programs such as contractor safety, fall prevention,
illness and injury prevention programs, accident investigations,
hazard communication, emergency action plan(s) and ergonomics
- Creates and maintain metrics to monitor performance in these
- Maintains Health and Safety and professional certifications or
relevant training necessary to be abreast of trends, legislation,
and best practices. Equipment & Maintenance
- Works closely with operations to understand industry specific
equipment and associated health and safety risks.
- Evaluates equipment design, administrative procedures, and
training requirements for the location(s) to establish best
management practices and safe work practice. Inventory & Quality
- Produces and maintains company safety compliance calendar with
timely submittals of permit applications and fees and regulatory
reports and plans (e.g. OSHA logs or equivalent). Budgeting &
- Manages safety related vendor contracts and budgets (e.g.,
safety equipment providers, consultants, etc). Administrative
- Provides health and safety coaching/assistance to develop
managers and safety teams.
- Administers effective and appropriate safety awareness and
incentive programs and fosters the company goal of being the
industry leader in injury prevention.
- Interviews prospective management and/or production employees
- Works with Human Resources personnel to prepare job
descriptions. Internal Control Responsibilities: Supports the
Company's Internal Control process which includes understanding,
communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well
as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures,
and controls to better relate to the business. Communicates upward
problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or
other policy violations or illegal actions. Supervisory
Responsibility: If required, the Senior Health and Safety Manager
will supervise appropriate Health and Safety team members. Internal
Contacts: Internal contacts are by phone, email, and in person with
all levels of personnel throughout the Schnitzer Steel Industries
related locations. External contacts are by phone, email, and in
person with rehabilitation workers, state and federal OSHA (or
equivalent) authorities, etc. The incumbent interfaces with
corporate safety, other safety professionals internal and external
to company, vendors, and regulatory agencies for technical
interpretation. Furthermore, ensuring an open and collaborative
communication style and maintaining professional dialogue with key
business partners (i.e. Regional Directors, Operation Managers,
other EH&S Team Members, etc.) throughout the organization is
essential to the incumbent's success. Job Conditions: Exposure to
physical operations ranging from office environments to metal
recycling yards. Successful candidate will need to demonstrate
managerial courage in decision making concerning applications of
code requirements versus production requirements. Must be able to
adapt to a flexible schedule, potentially working different shifts
to support operational needs and to respond to urgent matters.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds frequently, walk or
otherwise negotiate around physical barriers as would be found in a
manufacturing facility, warehouse or metal recycling scrap yard;
sit for up to 6 hours per day; keyboard for 1-3 hours per day; and
be mobile for extended periods of time, up to several hours per
day. Visual acuity required to perform close detail work to input
and retrieve data from a computer; read and interpret figures on
reports; conduct physical facilities inspections; and drive. Must
be able to scale varying heights as necessary. Qualifications:
- BS in Health and Safety preferred, or 15 plus years of related
- Knowledge, skills, and ability to execute local, state, and
federal Health and Safety laws and other government compliance
- This position requires possession of a valid driver's license
and the ability to drive an automobile.
- Must be able to balance business needs and Health & Safety
requirements in a cost-effective manner.
- Previous experience in leading HS teams to deliver multi-year
HS improvement and people development.
- Knowledge and experience in collecting, managing, and analyzing
various data and trends in Health & Safety behavior and
- Must make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or
issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards,
practices, policies, procedures, and/or government law.
- Effective written and oral communication skills within a
culturally diverse environment required.
- Must be personally responsible and accountable for achieving
performance goals as well as those of a team and have a proven
track record of building credible relationships.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Experience in a
manufacturing or industrial environment preferred. PLEASE NOTE: The
above statements are intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They
are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties and skills required. All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of
age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or
older. Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify
for all U.S. new hires. An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer
Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on
the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and
background check. All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration
Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees. As an
Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does
not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex,
marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry,
veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation,
genetic information, or any other protected status under local,
state or federal law.
Keywords: Pick-n-Pull Auto and Truck Dismantlers, Tacoma , Senior Health & Safety Manager, Healthcare , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!