Network Medical Director
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Medical Director opening in Tacoma, Washington. This and other
physician jobs brought to you by DocCafe.com
Network Medical Director
Status: Regular, FLSA Exempt
Location: Tacoma, WA
Reports to: Executive Medical Director
In support of Northwest Physicians Network's (NPN) mission, vision,
and strategic goals as an emerging Clinically Integrated Network,
the Network AMD is the accountable leader for performance in
population health programs across the NPN network. This role
provides direction, coordination, support and accountability
throughout the NPN network including Primary care practices of
various sizes, multispecialty groups, hospitals, and ancillary
facilities such as lab, imaging, and post acute care settings. The
Network AMD reports of the Network Executive Medical Director. This
role supports the Executive Medical Director and Chief Operating
Officer regarding all elements of performance throughout the
network including adherence to quality performance, timely access
for patients, appropriate and accurate documentation and coding,
patient engagement, practice engagement with central supports like
care management programs provided by NPN, analytic platforms, wrap
around care services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical
- Leading and organizing joint operating committees with each
contracted entity with a large focus on primary care
- Sets and implements clear standards and expectations for the
professional performance of the providers in the NPN network.
- Willingness to travel within Washington State on a regular
basis as needed (primarily Puget sound area)
- Chair the credentialing committee
- Lead onboarding discussions with new practices joining the
network (setting appropriate and customized performance
expectations in collaboration with the practice)
- Collaborate with the practice engagement project manager,
director of engagement, executive medical director, and leaders
within NPN, TEC and Polyclinic to prioritize initiatives and
identify the ideal implementation plan for network participants as
- Assists in coordinating efforts between affiliate partners who
are part of different organizations (primary care site, and various
specialties who are each in different organizations).
- Assists in the roll out of Optimal Care clinical guidelines
where appropriate at the direction of the quality committee.
- Assists in teaching clinicians and management team about
Medicare Risk Adjustment, Star ratings, and overall population
health approach to patient care.
- Align work of Risk Adjustment, Quality, and affordability
initiatives internally and translate into ways the affiliate
network can actively engage in easily using these resources
- Willingness to travel within Washington State as needed
- Collaborate with employed medical groups and affiliate medical
groups in a positive way while
- identifying opportunities for alignment of regional activities
(ie. Care management/affordability initiatives, quality
initiatives, new care models).
- Provide secondary assistance in covering Medical Necessity
review in Utilization Management
- Provide secondary assistance in supporting the network
development team, discussing with provider groups the value
proposition for joining the network.
- Represent affiliate voice on committees at the request of the
Executive Medical Director.
- Be available when asked, to report to the Quality Committee,
Board, Regional Executive committee, or Provider Meetings.
- Works with the Medical Director for Quality and Safety to
support integration of Quality Improvement programs, Daily
utilization Management reports, and Disease Management
- Support patient safety initiatives.
- Support patient experience initiatives, including patient
satisfaction and access.
- Supports ongoing improvements to the Primary Care Model of care
with an emphasis on sustainability, comprehensive primary care
delivery, quality performance and patient experience.
- Collaborate with regional leaders on Care Coordination to
understand and support reductions in cost of care through
appropriate institutional utilization and resource management by
the service line.
- Assures that utilization of hospital care is appropriate and
consistent with well-managed national and regional benchmarks.
- Assist in planning and implementation of lower cost
alternatives to institutional care where appropriate
- Assure utilization of advanced imaging and prescribing is
consistent with national and regional benchmarks.
- Ensure optimal specialty utilization and appropriate site of
service (ASC vs hospital)
- Help lead the primary care departments to focus on access and
reduced inappropriate ER utilization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Be flexible and able to quickly customize the conversation with
contracted groups at various stages of population health
- Well versed in guiding conversations with clinicians,
operations teams, and executive leadership in various
- Proven track record of working well with Physicians, ARNP,
Physician Assistants, Coders, Schedulers, Managers, Directors and
Executives to assure care delivery is patient centered, timely,
effective and evidence-based approach to clinical care across all
Primary Care and specialty care participants
- Serves as an ambassador for NPN among network providers
- Knowledge of managed care, including utilization, care
management, quality, credentialing, and peer review
- Advanced knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid plan design and
- Ability to analyze problems and formulate plans, solutions, and
course of actions
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex data
- Ability to research and prepare comprehensive reports
- Skill in working effectively under deadlines, frequent
interruptions and changing priorities[
- Graduate from accredited medical residency program
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Hospital
Administration or equivalent preferred.
- 5 years' recent experience in clinical practice
- 5 years' minimum experience in physician leadership role in
medical facility or related environment.
- Current unrestricted Physician (MD/DO) license for the State of
- Current driver's license
Office equipment, computer, personal vehicle
MENTAL & PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Mental Effort: Must be able to work effectively as a member of
NPN team; work is detailed and complex with multiple competing
priorities, deadlines and internal and external customers
- Physical Requirements: Work is primarily in office environment
requiring ability to see and hear and communicate as well as
operate personal motor vehicle
- Working Conditions: Work is performed both in an office setting
and at clinic locations; noise level may be moderate or loud on
occasion; work may be required outside normal business hours
The job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment. NPN reserves the right to revise or change
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
If any of these skill are not needed please delete.
Keyphrases: health administration jobs, medical director jobs,
hospital administration jobs, hospital administrative jobs,
healthcare administration jobs, administration jobs, healthcare
administrator jobs, medical administration jobs, chief medical
officer jobs, medical director position jobs, associate medical
director jobs, medical administrative jobs, healthcare ceo jobs,
medical ceo jobs, executive director jobs
Keywords: Optum, Tacoma , Network Medical Director, Executive , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!