Company: Corus Entertainment
Posted on: November 22, 2021
3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA Req #187 Monday,
August 2, 2021 The Puyallup Tribe of Indians is committed to
protecting and exercising the inherent inalienable sovereign rights
of the Tribe and Individuals in the interest of the Medicine Creek
Treat Territories, as stewards to ensure preservation of our
cultural and environmental integrity for common good and prosperity
for all. Department:GIS Reports To:Administrative Manager Hours:40
Hrs/Wk - Full Time Salary:DOQ + Benefits*--
-- *The Puyallup Tribe of Indians provides a generous benefits
package that includes employer paid medical, dental, vision, life
insurance, a retirement/401(k) plan with profit sharing, paid
holidays, and paid time off including birthday leave. Position
Summary: Acts as the Tribe's expert on geospatial matters by
planning, designing, administering, implementing and maintaining
the operation of the Tribe's GIS. Essential Duties and
- Responsible for the storage, collection, engineering,
management, integration, analysis, visualization, and documentation
of the Tribe's spatial data. Oversees the development of critical
Tribal data layers.
- Collaborates with the Tribal administrator and department
directors to determine the Tribe's GIS needs. Designs and
implements the Tribe's GIS in order to meet those needs. Oversees
the creation of GIS products and deliverables.
- Identifies and implements all programmatic components required
by the GIS Department, including data, infrastructure, software,
hardware, equipment, and other resources. Oversees the selection,
acquisition, upgrade and installation of all GIS hardware and
software. Guides the direction and development of the enterprise
GIS framework. Collaborates with the Tribe's Technologies
Department to implement computer, server-based, and software
platforms and applications.
- Oversees the acquisition and management of non-Tribal spatial
data necessary for Tribal operations.
- Leads efforts to employ geographic information for effective
decision-making throughout Tribal Government and Community.
- Develops, deploys and documents policies, standards, best
practices, and procedures. Develops - with the Tribe's Legal, Code
Writer, and Administration staff - major policies and
- Prepares periodic reports of pertinent information concerning
GIS operations. Prepares the GIS Department's annual operations
plan as well as other planning and reporting documents.
- Communicates information regarding GIS activities to both
technical and non-technical staff members. Advocates for
utilization of GIS throughout Tribal government and community.
- Leads GIS projects and contracts, and provides Tribal Council
updates to continually demonstrate the value of the GIS Department
to Tribal Government and Community.
- Prepares the annual GIS Department budget. Understands budget
preparation, justification, and monitoring.
- Trains GIS Department staff and other Tribal employees in the
use of enterprise, desktop, web and field GIS, and trains Tribal
staff in best practices for data development and management.
- Represents the Tribe and Tribal interests. Enters into
agreements with other organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Supervisory Responsibilities
Supervises GIS employees.Carries out supervisory responsibilities
in accordance with the Puyallup Tribe of Indians personnel policies
and procedures, and all applicable laws. Responsibilities include
interviewing, hiring, coaching and training employees; planning,
assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding,
recognizing and counseling employees; addressing complaints and
resolving problems. Qualifications and Requirements
-- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and/or Experience Bachelor's degree (B.S.) or equivalent;
and six years related experience working with GIS; or equivalent
combination of education and experience. Masters in GIS, Geography,
Cartography or related field is preferred.Two years of supervisory
experience required.Advanced experience in various GIS software
applications that may be used in a small to medium sized GIS
program such as those listed below. Other Requirements:
- Experience in Project Management: administering a department,
overseeing complex projects, managing multiple projects
simultaneously, collaborating with partners internally and
externally; identifying solutions, developing goals and outcomes
and timelines, budgeting, creating documentation, handling
- Must demonstrate experience in GIS: cartography / data
visualization, spatial analysis, data science, data acquisition,
data engineering, data modeling, database development and
management, web mapping application development, field mapping,
solutions engineering, training, technical support, automation via
Model Builder and Python programming, Global Positioning Systems,
- Experience in ESRI platforms: ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal on MS
SQL Server,-- ArcGIS Desktop (ArcGIS 10, ArcGIS Pro), ArcGIS
Online, and ESRI's field apps (Collector, Survey 123, Quick
- Must demonstrate ability to apply GIS in a number of
disciplines: Cadastre, Planning, Natural Resources, Cultural
Resources, Law Enforcement, Realty, Social Services, Facilities
Management, Communications, Public Safety, Economic Development,
Housing, and Sustainability. Language Skills Ability to read,
analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals,
financial reports, and legal documents.Ability to respond to common
inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or
members of the business community.Ability to write reports and
articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and
format.Ability to effectively present information to top
management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Mathematical
Skills Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as
probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane
and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such
as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical
situations. Reasoning Ability Ability to define problems, collect
data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to
interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in
mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and
concrete variables. Licenses or Certificates
- Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State Driver's
License. Driver's License must not contain any restrictions that
would otherwise prevent an employee from driving a GSA
- GISP certification preferred but not required.
- Able to pass a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS)
background check (involves fingerprinting) upon employment and
periodically throughout employment. Other Skills or Abilities
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a diverse environment
with Tribal governments and staff.
- Develops and maintains ethical and professional relationships
with key vendors in an effort to generate added value for the
Puyallup Tribe of Indians.
- Contributes to a favorable public image of the Tribe by
establishing and maintaining relationships and participation in the
GIS community. Physical Demands
-- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line
telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret
information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and talk or
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. The work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during
- Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or
confidential issues being addressed. The Puyallup Tribe of Indians
reserves the right to revise or change job duties and
responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does
not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Indian
Preference Employer as Required by Law Native American preference
applies and job placements are given on a competitive basis, using
job related factors. Because of the large number of applications
received and limited job positions, your application will not
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA
Keywords: Corus Entertainment, Tacoma , GIS Director, Executive , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!