Principal Mechanical Engineer, R&D
Company: Automated Systems of Tacoma (AST)
Posted on: June 25, 2022
What can I expect in this role?You will be part of a highly
skilled machine automation and mechanical engineering team. As the
R&D Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will report directly to
the CTO, and will be responsible for researching, designing,
testing, building, and carrying out complex and innovative
engineering assignments related to machine automation, material
handling, robotics, special tooling, material science and system
designs! You will be responsible for the invention, development and
integration of cutting-edge technologies, products, and
processes.What will I be doing?
- Creating new product development proposals based on
technologies, trends, and marketplace needs. Taking design of
products from concept to practical solution, and to end users.
- Developing solutions and reviewing technical decisions that
have high impact, both internal and external to AST.
- Contributing to and having responsibility for the completion of
assignments with broad product, technology investment and
integration, customer, and strategic impact.
- Developing or refining complex machine functions, automation,
processes, products, and concepts, by applying advanced theories,
concepts, principles, and processes for the assigned area.
- Performing new product/system performance testing, evaluation,
- Promoting the advancement and effective utilization of
technology in products and processes.
- Estimating and creating project budgets and schedules and
self-manage to expectations.
- Optimizing, enhancing, and renewing existing/legacy platforms,
process, and technologies.
- Collaborating with internal teams and external vendors to
generate high-quality, cost-effective solutions in very short
periods of time.
- Simultaneously managing multiple high visibility projects and
tasks while effectively influencing, negotiating, and communicating
with internal and external business partners, contractors, and
- Providing technical leadership for large-scale engineering
- Traveling up to 25%.AST is looking for someone who has:
- An engineering bachelor/master's degree, ideally in mechanical
engineering or equivalent degree.
- Over 10 years of practical engineering and innovation
- In-depth experience with material science, CFD, FEA, machine
automation, and other major engineering tools, material handling,
robotics, equipment tooling.
- A good grasp on machine control systems, AI, and advanced
sensory including vision system.
- The ability to apply and integrate knowledge of other related
engineering fields or experts to own area of expertise.
- Proven experience being a collaborative team player who plays
well with others, interdepartmentally and cross functionally to
achieve company goals.
- The ability to actively listen, unite team members, and seek
- Proven experience being a strategic thinker who enjoys
innovation and problem solving and goes above and beyond to
identify root causes.
- Dedication and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced
- Accountability and initiative. Someone who takes ownership of
their work (errors too), persistently striving for resolution.
Someone who drives productivity and positive change.
- Competitive pay & bonus potential
- Health insurance
- Medical PPO and HSA health plan options available
- Employer HSA contribution
- Employer paid vision and dental
- Employer paid long/short term disability
- Continuing education assistance
- Competitive 401(K) employer match (traditional and Roth
- Paid Time Off (PTO) availableEligibility Requirements:
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without
- Must be willing to take and successfully pass a drug test.AST
is proud of our team. Providing challenging and rewarding work,
with opportunities for personal/professional development is our key
to this longevity. AST is an equal opportunity employer.This is a
full-time position based in Tacoma.*All benefits listed in this
post are subject to change.
Keywords: Automated Systems of Tacoma (AST), Tacoma , Principal Mechanical Engineer, R&D, Engineering , Tacoma, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!